Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Joni Flower Tunic from Vintage Crochet

Hey, y'all!

I'm getting a bit more adventurous in the patterns I'm trying these days.  There are so many sweaters and other things I've wanted to make for years, but I've been too scared to commit the time to make them.

This one is from a book I love, called Vintage Crochet.  The pattern is called the Joni Flower Tunic, and I've been drooling over it for about three years now.









I chose to stay with the ecru color that's featured in the pattern, because it's one of my favorite colors to work with.  Unfortunately, the pattern is written for DK weight cotton, which I just can't seem to find around here...at least not at a decent price or in as many colors as I'd like.  And, a problem I run into frequently, all the cute stuff is written for skinny gals...no plus sizes here.

So I modified things, but only a bit.  I used worsted weight cotton from Lily Sugar 'n' Cream and followed the instructions for a size M.  Using the larger yarn and the same hook, I was able to successfully make this for myself, typically a size18-20.

A word of warning if you decide to purchase this pattern or use it from the book: watch the repeats.  The pattern is written a little wonky, getting out of sync with the total number of repeats in quite a few places...especially in the flower mesh pattern.  If you count your stitches and use markers, you'll be fine.  Just don't skip the double-checking on this one, guys.  If you do, you'll be sorry.


'Til next time,
OCB

3 comments:

  1. And it looks fabulous on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I want to see it on you too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly girl, you already have! I wore it the last time we were at your house...for Mom's birthday, I think.

      Delete